Kindermusik By Bright Beginnings Studios

Kindermusik By Bright Beginnings Studios
All Involved. All The Time.

Saturday, March 27, 2010

You Mean I Actually Have to PRACTICE?? by Kristi Prouty

I am the only Kindermusik teacher who is currently teaching the Keyboard Adventures class. Frankly, when I first started teaching the class, it scared me! How am I supposed to teach five 6-9 year-olds how to play the piano in a group? After doing it for a few years, though, I really see the benefits of learning beginning keyboard in a group setting, and have even come to really enjoy teaching the class!
We start out each class with ‘Circle Time.’ Depending on the children in the group, we either start out by singing a song together or just talking about highlights of their week. We then do some activities together (such as flashcards), learn any new concepts for the week, and do some work in their Writing Books. For about the next 30 minutes, the students rotate through stations. They have some time to practice on their own, they play their songs for me at one station, and they also have time to do worksheets and play games together. Parents join us for the last 5 minutes of class. That is an opportunity for the parents to see what we are working on, and to know how to help their children practice at home.
When I was growing up, I remember my parents having to practically force me down on the piano bench sometimes because I didn’t want to practice. There were so many other things that I could think of that I would much rather be doing. Don’t get me wrong…I have always loved music and loved playing the piano…I just did NOT always like the practicing! But my parents did make me practice, and I am so grateful to them for that today. With about 16 years of piano lessons and a music degree under my belt, I am now teaching Kindermusik, private piano lessons, and directing music at my church. My practicing paid off!
I like to compare practicing piano to playing sports. Will you get better at your favorite sport without practicing? Not too likely! Will you get better at playing the piano without practicing? Absolutely not! As a teacher, I don’t like the phrase “Practice Makes Perfect.” I’m not looking for perfection from any of my students. I prefer the phrase “Practice Makes Progress” because as long as you are practicing each day, we will all be able to see the progress. And that makes this adventure so much more fun for everyone! My very favorite moments in class are when a student wants to play a ‘really hard song’ that they have been practicing. Their faces just light up when they are finally able to play it! The practicing has paid off!
Practicing does not come easy for most students. Most will need constant reminders, or need it scheduled into their daily routine. Many will need a parent to actually sit with them during the practice time to help keep them on track. The most important thing is not to give up! So when I get that You Mean I Actually Have to PRACTICE?? look from a student, my response is…yes, every day. Age and ability level will determine how long each day, and there will always be those days (sometimes even a week here and there) when our busy lives take over and it just doesn’t get done. But it is a goal to work toward. Parents, your children may not like practicing now, but if you guide them along, they will thank you for it later!

No comments:

Post a Comment