Kindermusik By Bright Beginnings Studios

Kindermusik By Bright Beginnings Studios
All Involved. All The Time.

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Last Saturday after the Young Child class, one of the boys just didn't want to leave. Instead, he wanted to stay and help clean up. So he piled up the papers. And then he stacked the desks. Next he insisted on putting each mallet back in the glockenspiel. At first I was thinking that I could be doing this much quicker on my own. But then I realized that by allowing him to do these Acts of Service, he was actually showing his love.

I'd like to begin my blog-writing turn with a gift that my sister-in-law gave me, The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman. I refer to this as, “the gift that keeps on giving.” As I initially read through the book, connections to my family members were immediate, but they were also evident with my friends, colleagues, and certainly the children and families we serve.

Chapman writes that the Five Love Languages are Words of Affirmation, Physical Touch, Quality Time, Gifts, and Acts of Service. Each Kindermusik class, I notice the children and their primary (and even secondary) love languages. Here is how I can tell, and perhaps you can too!

Words of Affirmation – Children who feel loved when we tell them, “You did it!” or “I love your shirt,” or “You must really enjoy singing,” or even a simple “Thank you.” These children also speak complimentary words to us.

Physical Touch – Children who like to sit in laps, enjoy holding hands while we're singing in a circle [and usually won't let go!], and want to be held as we're moving around the room.

Quality Time – Children who want to read a book together, or tell something – lots of things - about their day, or invite their teacher out to Bagel Boy for lunch.

Gifts – Children who love receiving their new literature book, who make pictures for their teacher and beam when handing it to her, those who say (often), “Can we keep these?”

Acts of Service – Children who like to help put the instruments away, those who are willing to give up their favorite color hoop if none of that color are left, those who make sure everybody has an instrument and no one is left out.

As you observe your children in different environments (at home, at Kindermusik, at a family member's house, etc.), pinpoint what you think are their primary love languages. Then find ways to show your love that focus on this language. Also, since community is a huge part of our Kindermusik classes, we can ALL observe ALL of the children and their love languages. It is amazing to watch and love these children in their own special ways. And as I have done at home, feel free to extend these concepts into all of your relationships. Love really does make the world go round and round!

Wendy Ensz

No comments:

Post a Comment