Kindermusik By Bright Beginnings Studios

Kindermusik By Bright Beginnings Studios
All Involved. All The Time.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Special Heart of a Two-Year Old by Tarina Stroh

I recently completed a ten week Our Time class. I’ve taught many classes, but this one brings a special smile to my face. There is just something timeless about two year olds! They transition from baby toddlers to two year old toddlers. They discover what makes them tick and also what ticks them off! They begin to play with things that interest them though it may not be a "real" toy.

Our Time is a kindermusik class designed for 1 1/2 to 3 year olds. It is filled with story time, a listening center and lots of instrument exploration. Each activity centers on the child, and that can mean children running in circles, hiding under tables and climbing up and down from their partners lap, all while feeling and experiencing the music. Often times, I find myself reassuring parents that this completely age appropriate for two year olds!

A really special part of an Our Time class is the bonding that occurs between parent and child and even teacher and child. We begin our evening with a hello song and allow each child to pick their movement. Some typical greetings include swinging, running, and bouncing, but no, not with this class! Our greetings included bowling, rolling and flying, just to name a few. In the five years that I have been teaching, I’ve never “bowled hello.” It’s so precious to see their little imaginations at work and to see them, literally, bowl in the air to a beat!

Another beautiful quality of two year olds is their loving spirit. They are just getting over their ‘stranger danger’ fears and slowly beginning to find a rhythm of familiarity to their schedule, even if it is only 1 time a week. I have had many parents remark that they were going to take the night off only to find that their child would not let them! They love the security of a schedule and that same comfort can be felt in class when we begin and end the same way.

The final most precious moment of our timeless two year olds was the way they hugged and snuggled up with me and other partners in class as if I was their 32 year old grandma. And as our class ended we would hug and kiss George and get ready for a stamp. I would typically stamp both of their hands but oh no, not with this class. With parent permission, each little two year old would come ready for a stamp by showing me their two year old tummy. Yes, I would stamp all of their tummies each night! How it started? I don't even know, but maybe by the creative child who suggested bowling at the night’s opening!

My time to “Mother” my own two year olds has come to end as they are now energetic and joyful three year olds, but what a joy to share in the lives of my students and reflect on the “timeless times” of two year olds. I have so enjoyed them in Our Time this Spring!

1 comment:

  1. yah! Shae and Camden had so much fun in Our Time! We look forward to Kindermusik with Ms. Tarina in the fall.

    ReplyDelete