Kindermusik By Bright Beginnings Studios

Kindermusik By Bright Beginnings Studios
All Involved. All The Time.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Preachin' Kindermusik by Ms. Myra

Today the teachers of BBS Studios (which is technically Bright Beginnings Studios, but I can’t consistently spell beginnings and I can’t say it without getting all tongue tied, so for today it’s BBS Studios,) anyway, today we visited with families at the Children’s Expo at the Pavilion. We had lots and lots of families stop by and it was so energizing to talk about subjects that I love (music and early childhood) with Moms, Dads and Grandparents, many of whom had never heard of Kindermusik. Sometimes I get a little too excited, though, and sound like a preacher trying to get the congregation all fired up for the morning potluck (or worse, like the preacher who’s brought out his yearly hell-fire and brimstone sermon.)

I really can’t help myself. I start off with the basics: we are an early childhood music and movement program for newborns through age 7 (and keyboard up to age 9.) We address all areas of development including cognitive, language, physical, social, emotional and musical. But before I know it, I’m off on some tangent about the crucial early childhood years and if you miss these precious opportunities for development, well, you never get them back. It’s too late. As Kindermusik says, “A good beginning never ends.” And, well, a bad one never really goes away. Then it gets worse. I try to talk about the science and the research. I began telling one first-time mom of a 4 week old about all the little parts in your head….let’s just call them balls, I said….the balls on the right side need to connect with the balls on the left side and with every year that passes you lose the chance to make those connections. The window is half closed by age three and by 5 it’s pretty much all she wrote. That’s it. That’s all the time you have. And it goes by fast. Blink and she will be in Kindergarten. She look horrified and scared and excused herself from the conversation with a gentle, “Well thank you for the information” and left. I’m sure I sent her spiraling into a pit of post-partum depression since I basically just told her that her newborn should just go ahead and get her kindergarten shots.

Another conversation that went somewhat better was with a Mom whose son was slightly younger than my daughter Emma Claire. We bonded over the joys and challenges of parenting. She was a stay at home mom and talked about how much work there is to do in the day and how on many occasions she puts her son down for a nap only to realize she’s spent no real time with him. I can identify. Yesterday was my day off and instead of spending time with Emma Claire, I drug her all over town from one church to another transferring Kindermusik materials, unpacking boxes, etc. At the end of the day, the best I could say was that we had been together. Quality time? Not so much.

There will always be errands to run, calls to return, groceries to buy and meals to prepare. There is never enough time for programs like Kindermusik; you have to find time. You have to find the time; take the time; make the time. I didn’t mean to spook the new mommy, but the truth is that in 5 or 6 years her daughter will be getting those shots and she will either remember with joy all the special time they spent together on the floor reading books; time in the backyard tossing a ball; time in Kindermusik playing, dancing, singing, bonding and creating a good beginning that will never end, or she will wish desperately that she had.

Kindermusik is a place where you can come away from everyday life and be totally involved with your children. “All involved. All the time.” We invite you to join us this fall for a time of exploration; a time of discovery; a time for you and your children. Now, can I hear an “Amen!”

1 comment:

  1. Sam asked me/cried "me wanna go to Kindermusik" No kidding he did! (he may have heard me talk about it but his statement was random! Problemo is we start daycare tomorrow as I am working part-time so finding a day that works is a challenge! Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete